Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The beginning

Welcome to my first blog on the internet!!

I have been looking for a boat for a while now and as by nature i like to build and destroy.. the great idea raised to build one myself. Whilst getting started I have been checking out sites for boat plans and designs. Nina from bateau.com, inspired by Atkin & Co looked great to me.

Not to big to handle in the canals, some cover for rain, some open space and outboard in an enclosed compartment.

Original design from Atkin:
http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/Ninigret.html

In this stage I am still debating with myself to build or not to build. Anyway, I ordered the plans:

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=LB22.

Being totally new to building boats it seemed smart to get a book about building books. Ordered Boatbuilding with Plywood. Given the reviews, seems like a decent book with a lot of practical tips.

What now?

I ordered the plans, upon receipt I am planning to make a full BOM for the boat and a price estimate. A big hurdle to take will be a place to actually build it. There is plenty of water here in the canals..... but I need dry ground with a roof or something over it to build it.

. . to be continued....

No comments: